Red Wyvern Games
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rules questions

2 posters

Go down

Rules questions Empty Rules questions

Post  vtsaogames Sat Jun 15, 2013 2:25 am

Can cavalry capable of feigned retreat do this from a standing fight? I allowed this in our first game but am not sure.
I think of Normans making repeated charges at Hastings, and Basil II's Byzantines making repeated charges against Varangians. 

Can units retreating and in contact with enemy (who are chasing them) reform? I didn't allow this, so an infantry unit with enemy cavalry attached that keeps after them is doomed. That seemed right to me.

vtsaogames
Grunt

Back to top Go down

Rules questions Empty Re: Rules questions

Post  IanHannam Sat Jun 15, 2013 3:45 am

Can cavalry capable of feigned retreat do this from a standing fight? I allowed this in our first game but am not sure.
I think of Normans making repeated charges at Hastings, and Basil II's Byzantines making repeated charges against Varangians. 

As it stands, units engaged with an enemy unit (in base contact) can not perform any actions (including a feigned flight retreat). I do think this is an interesting idea though that I will certainly consider for future editions. In the mean time, feel free to 'house rule' it if you feel it works best that way in your group. 

Can units retreating and in contact with enemy (who are chasing them) reform? I didn't allow this, so an infantry unit with enemy cavalry attached that keeps after them is doomed. That seemed right to me.

You are quite right - as stated in the answer above, units engaged with an enemy unit, including when they are retreating can perform no actions - not even a regroup action. 

Hope that helps!

IanHannam
Elite

Back to top Go down

Rules questions Empty Rules questions

Post  vtsaogames Sun Jun 16, 2013 2:54 am

No actions if enemy in base contact, OK. This is mentioned in the discipline and action phase (where I overlooked it) but it could be written more clearly and forcefully (for those of us who are easily confused :^).

This means that if a unit is charged in the flank or rear they cannot turn to face in succeeding turns?

I've given a little more thought to cavalry break-off. I think the following is better than just allowing a feigned retreat from a standing fight.

If a cavalry unit is in frontal contact (only) with infantry, it may try to break-off. Announce this and then roll the discipline dice.
1 - signal misunderstood, unit remains in fight.
2,3 - unit retreats, with retreat marker. Discipline has broken down. Winners may give chase.
4+ unit makes feigned retreat. Winners may give chase.

What I did during Thursday's game
1-3, unit remains in fight
4+ unit makes feigned retreat, even from flank contact

Another rules question:

I understand support orders for bow units - you get more dice in a single attack and a better chance of causing a morale failure on the target. But I don't understand support charge orders. Since all fighting is resolved after activation and movement, why not just move each unit in turn into an attack rather than declaring support?

Since the umpire (me) didn't understand the rule, it wasn't enforced during our game.

vtsaogames
Grunt

Back to top Go down

Post  IanHannam Sun Jun 16, 2013 8:28 am

I like the look of the rules you came up with - let me know how they play in future games and I'll certainly be considering whether this is something that could be incorporated in future updates! 

As to your question regarding supporting actions - The main advantage to a combined charge is that it allows multiple units to charge and then align with a single enemy unit which might be obscured by one of the charging units if this was done singularly. It may not seem significant but in order to improve the fight strength of the side in the fight, the number of bases can add significant points. It also allows weaker units to buff up the numbers whilst taking less hits in return if positioned correctly.

This means that if a unit is charged in the flank or rear they cannot turn to face in succeeding turns?

Currently a unit cannot reform to face an enemy in contact with it. In terms of the feel of the game I took the decision not to allow this as I felt that with an emphasis on longer battle lines, turning and reforming could really take away the advantage of the attacker in the flank having outmaneuvered their quarry. Having lots of little pockets as opposed to lines clashing I think might take away from the visual spectacle.

- Having said this, I would suggest a discipline roll be made to perform a reform action in such circumstances if this is something you wanted to houserule - but as we discussed earlier, I would suggest leaving out the ability for those with a retreat token.

IanHannam
Elite

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down